Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds on Deposit in Court Registry
Unclaimed Funds are funds held by the court for an owner or recipient who is entitled to receive the money but has failed to claim ownership of it. Unclaimed funds may arise out of a variety of circumstances. For example, faulty or incomplete address information, proceeds or uncashed dividend checks from bankruptcy cases, dividends from stock certificates seized by federal agencies and criminal restitution or other fines may not have been claimed by the parties, agencies, next of kin, or other recipients entitled to them.
Unclaimed Funds Procedures
All unclaimed funds paid into the court pursuant to 11 U.S.C. Section 347(a) shall be deposited into the United States Treasury. To search unclaimed funds, use the Unclaimed Funds Locator.
The release of unclaimed funds may occur only after the claimant/filer:
- Files an Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds with the Court.
- Provides documentation evidencing "ownership" of the unclaimed funds.
For detailed instructions, click here.
- Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds - Form 1340-VI
- AO 213P or W-9 Certification Form
- AO 215 and W-8 Certification Form
- Unclaimed Funds Sample Affidavit of Claimant
- Unclaimed Funds Sample Order
Requests for Unclaimed Funds should be filed electronically by attorneys. Debtors and creditors without attorney representation may file requests either by visiting the Clerk’s Office or mailing requests to the address found below.
Court Address:District Court of the Virgin Islands Bankruptcy Division Ron de Lugo Federal Building and Courthouse 5500 Veteran’s Drive, Suite No. 310 St. Thomas, VI 00802